Thursday, November 04, 2010

Great timing!

I am in San Diego getting ready to give a presentation on genderqueer athletes playing women's sports--just two days after news that Kye Allums, who plays on George Washington University's women's basketball team, has just come out as transgender. The news broke earlier this week on smaller websites--or at least those are the links that friends sent me with the "what do you think about this?" messages.
But now the story has gone national. I was in the hotel fitness center this morning and CNN had a teaser and then story about Kye Allums's recent announcement that he is transgender and will continue to play on the GWU team with the support of his coach and teammates and the approval of the NCAA (because Allums has not started hormone therapy yet).
From what I have read, the comments on some of the posted stories about Allums's gender identity have been pretty disgusting (though I have not read them myself--just heard second hand).
So Allums's announcement comes not only right before my own presentation, but on the heels of the report issued by the National Center for Lesbian Rights and the Women's Sports Foundation about the participation of trans athletes in high school and intercollegiate sports.
I don't think I have too much to say about this actually. I think it's a great thing. I hope Allums continues to be supported by his team, school, and the NCAA.
I will note, though, that the CNN teaser this morning continued to call Allums a she. "Her decision" to transition...yada yada yada. It will be interesting to see 1) how long the coverage continues, 2) if any other angles are introduced and 3) who, and how, and in what arena the next trans person will come out. Because I know we are not done talking about this issue.

No comments: