Saturday, August 25, 2007

Last one standing


Svetlana Kuznetsova just won the Pilot Pen, the last stop before the US Open. I didn't get to see the match but I saw the final score: 4-6, 3-0 (ret). I haven't seen any news (the Pilot Pen site is lousy; no match recaps or stories anywhere that I can find) but I wonder if Szavay had issues with the heat and humidity. It had been cool all week and she had the benefit of playing the night match in the semis whereas Kuznetsova played Dementieva in her semi during the heat of the day. Kuznetsova certainly battled in her matches during some rounds of the tournament but she undoubtedly benefited from three straight retirements by her opponents.

It must give her some confidence going into the Open the site of her only Grand Slam title to date.
UPDATE: Szavay retired after aggravating a back injury at the end of the first set.

No comments: