Thursday, November 15, 2007

That's so gay?

When people ask, "Why hasn't a male (currently playing) professional athlete come out yet?" I just roll my eyes and either assume one, the asker is a journalist posing a rhetorical question that s/he feels makes him/her look sensitive to gay issues or, two, the asker is extremely naive and perhaps also living in a closet--just a different type of one.

And when I hear about (thanks to JB for the alert) comments like those made the other day by Lakers coach Phil Jackson, I shake my head resignedly and say "See? This is why. Now stop asking this ridiculous question and let's start doing something about it."

After the Lakers beat the Spurs, in part because of great outside shooting (they made 13 3-pointers), Jackson was asked about the 39 points and responded:

"We call this a 'Brokeback Mountain' game, because there's so much penetration and kickouts."

GLAD issued a statement that included this "Phil Jackson's been coaching long enough that he should be able to talk about the Lakers' performance without resorting to cheap gay jokes."

Maybe he's been coaching too long.

1 comment:

Jerry's Dallas said...

My apologies but that is the funniest comment I have ever read. Phil Jackson is a funnier guy than I thought.