Sunday, January 30, 2011

What's worse: no coverage or being cut off?

You know the saying: you don't know what you have until it's gone?
Yeah, that doesn't apply here. Because I was happy when I found it and furious when it was taken away.
I was quite pleased to turn on Comcast Sports Network to see WBB: Baylor versus Big 12 rival Texas A&M. And it was a good game. And there were only 5 minutes left, which was great for me because I am not a huge basketball fan and I have a lot of stuff to get done this afternoon. But bonus for people are more devoted than me and good for me for exactly what I needed. Plus we all know the last 5 minutes can last--well much longer than that.
And it was close--and it remained close as the seconds ticked away.
And then CSN cut away.
Are you freakin' kidding me? I yelled at the television. (And yes, I did really say freakin' because it's Sunday. This has nothing to do with the lord but with the fact that the new school week starts tomorrow and I need to clean up my potty mouth before entering a classroom. )
And what did I get to see instead? Another game? Another nail biter? No, my friends, the Celtics pre-game show. A pre-scheduled 30 minute show for a game CSN wasn't even airing.
So I went to Baylor's website to listen to the last 3 minutes. Baylor won.
It's such a slap in the face. We all know how little TV time women's sports receive, and we get this game on in the middle of a Sunday afternoon--when there is no football to compete with--and it's a great game between two rival teams ranked in the top 10 nationally. But we don't get to see the end. It is such a startling example of how little networks care about women's sports.

No comments: