Friday, December 23, 2011

Poetry Friday

Last year I posted "Twas the Night Before Christmas" on Poetry Friday.
This year I offer my own version.
Happy Holidays!


TWAS THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS

Twas the week before Christmas
and all through the house
everything was stirring
especially the  f*&^in’ mouse.


New stockings to be sewn
to show the GF I care.
I put a bird on them
for that Portlandia flair.


The wrapping of presents
was nowhere near done.
Multiple trips to the mall--
this is no holiday fun.


Parties to attend
but more invitations turned down.
Have to finish laundry and packing
before we leave town.


The Solstice Fairy came
and she was divine:
got some music, cool gear,
and a bottle of sparkly wine.


Homemade cookies were delivered
and some chocolates too.
Was up to midnight making truffles;
“easy to make”—um, not so true.


Planning the holiday dinner
for the Boston family.
Looking forward to some red wine
and getting woozy by the tree.


But for now there will be
no temporary reprieve.
No chance for a break
until late Christmas Eve.


I throw back some caffeine
ready to hit more stores;
have to forge ahead
and complete these holiday chores.


So on to the Gap, to Trader Joes,
to Banana Republic I go.
To Target and Dick’s
where the lines are so slow.


On to Whole Foods, to Best Buy
for the last-minutes shopping,
then back to the kitchen
for some vegetable chopping.


I spring to my RAV4
with vim and vigor
praying to the holiday gods
the to-do list won’t grown bigger.


But I take this moment now
to send a "happy holidays!"
May we all survive
the seasonal craze.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a genius and amazing and i am not at all biased.