Sunday, November 12, 2006

Allez, Pride!

Sadly, Amelie Mauresmo lost today's WTA Championships to Justine Henin-Hardenne. She had to fight so hard on her serve and although she was able to break HH a few times it just was not enough.

It does not, in my mind, mar in any way her amazing year. And I think that JHH would probably give Mauresmo this win for say perhaps Wimbledon.

But what really excited me about the match was the rainbow flag two fans were waving throughout the match on which they had written AMELIE. And what was amazing was that the camera repeatedly panned to it. Hmm...is this the product of Versus, the channel formerly known as OLN, that aired the championships? Not sure but I was excited since the commentators rarely mention her sexuality (which is both good and bad).

I am not a huge rainbow flag-waver fan but in the context of women's tennis it seems fairly monumental.

The tournament was held in Spain which may have something to do with the presence of the flag in the first place. In most US venues security rarely let past a banner or flag no matter the color(s). And though I see many gay women at tournaments and watching Mauresmo I have not seen "gay" cheering as such in the form of rainbow gear. And even if it did exist I have to wonder if stations that usually cover tennis (ESPN2, USA, NBC) would show it on the air.

No comments: