Sunday, May 28, 2006

City Slam over softball?

LSU pulled out a win in the second game of the 3-game series against U of Arizona last night. It was an amazing game that Arizona almost pulled out in the last inning when LSU pitcher, who I initially dubbed Puma (because I think she bears a striking resemblance to Paris Hilton and Uma Thurman) started to get a little to animated on the mound. Given Turner's (that's her real name) Filipino heritage and the problematic aspects of exoticization and the elliding of women of color to animals I retract my earlier nickname and have re-dubbed her Paruma. I actually won't have much need to call her anything anymore because LSU lost in the final game three last night. Not that I can really comment on that loss because ESPN2 that had been covering the game opted not to show it, relegating it instead to ESPNU and opting to stick with the scheduled programming that included several episodes of City Slam. I don't really know what City Slam is but I gathered from watching--as I hoped and prayed that the powers that be at ESPN would change their minds and show the game--that it is an amateur dunking/hotshot contest on a playground somewhere warm (there were palm trees). So amateur dunking contest, not live, over a live game three--a deciding game three, a game three that determines who goes to the world series. Can you imagine ESPN opting for regular taped programming over a deciding game in any other sport? Yeah, that's what I thought.

No comments: