Friday, October 06, 2006

The things the tour won't talk about?





Anyone think that maybe the discussion about eating disorders needs to expand beyond the sports of gymnastics and figure skating?
Hantuchova, who admitted to have some weight issues (I don't think I ever heard the words "eating" and "disorder" in the same sentence--I believe it was explained as a sort of accident--oops, look I forgot to eat while I was training intensely), looks pretty thin again.
And I don't know Morigami so I can't compare this picture with anything, but she looks fairly frail as well.
Besides Hantuchova's weight loss the only other time I heard about anorexia on the tour was a brief mention about Carling Bassett-Seguso (blast from the past, eh?) and I believe she mentioned it after her professional career had ended. (Here is an interview with Bassett-Seguso and Nick Bollettieri about Hantuchova's weight loss.
I don't see it as a rampant problem, but still these women do not look healthy to me.

1 comment:

Diane said...

When Hantuchova's career took a dive, she said it was because she had become very depressed and had quit eating when she learned her parents were divorcing. She didn't come forward at the time, she said, because she didn't want to blab her family's personal busines to the world.

I believed her. However, that explanation is looking suspect. Hantuchova's modeling gigs really rub me the wrong way, but perhaps I am a prude. At any rate, when you put it all together, it is disturbing.

Hantuchova is a very bright and talented woman whose career once looked as though it were going somewhere, but she just seems stalled now. Too bad.