Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The winners

Glad to have an excuse to post my pictures of Svetlana Kuznetsova (and her camp which includes her female coach, Larisa Savchenko) at this year's French Open. Kuznetsova beat Serena Williams today to make it to the semifinals of Roland Garros






Thirtieth seed Sam Stosur (pic from Wimbledon 07) is into the semis after her easy win over Sorona Cirstea.



Roger Federer also won today beating Gael Monfils in straight sets. I was really surprised by this result. When Nadal went out--actually before he went out--I picked Monfils to win the tournament. Mostly because I like long shots, I was tired of Nadal winning this tournament, and I really like Monfils for some reason. I like his style of play and think he is generally underrated. I have not seen the match yet, though I am sure I will get the opportunity what with the constant replays of Federer's matches. Seriously--how many times has ESPN aired his match with Tommy Haas?

1 comment:

Diane said...

I thought Monfils would give Roger more trouble because of all the spin he puts on the ball. But Roger looked like "old" Roger, took total control of things, and you could practically see Monfils fade away.