Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I wanna go to camp

I'll let you in on a little secret: I really want to learn how to surf. Several years ago when surfing reality shows seemed to be their own little subset of reality television I tuned in every week. I have my own copy of Blue Crush. The lifestyle is attractive though I am far too much of a creature of habit (to put it somewhat euphemistically) to ever be able to be so casual about things. And I happen to think surfer girls are cute, cute, cute. And so if I can become a surfer girl maybe I could be cute, cute, cute too.
So listen up any women out there who feel similarly--or don't feel similarly and just want to learn how to surf--there are camps out there for women who want to become surfers. A company called Northwest Women's Surfing Camps offers two-day camps for beginners of all ages in Oregon, where the founder lives. (There will be a week-long retreat in Hawaii in April of next year.) And it's really comprehensive with yoga sessions, lessons in surf etiquette and how to read surf charts. This article describes the experiences of one camper.
I have been wanting to head back to the Pacific Northwest for a trip. This may just be the incentive I need!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Just don't become like one of those dreadful women on "Curl Girls"! I think the salt water seeped into their brains.

Anonymous said...

I say go for it!! Salt water is a great tonic, surfing is sexy (for both men and women and not because anybody is trying to be sexy or projecting anything on anyone else but because it just is), and why not.

ken said...

The Curl Girls women are crazy--well most of them anyway. Still I watched that show all the time. The drama was just too enticing!