WANTED: Someone to head international sporting organization

WTA CEO Larry Scott will not be doing as much international travelling. He's been chosen as the new Pac-10 commissioner.
I'm not shedding any tears. I was never that impressed with Scott despite his brokering of the Sony Ericson sponsorship. And that someone actually thought he brought credibility to the women's tour is a little suspect. I did not realize it lacked credibility in the pre-Scott era. I actually think it was Billie Jean King who brought said credibility to the women's tour--you know by starting it and promoting it and all!
Scott wasn't the search committee's first choice, though. In fact they tried for Condoleezza Rice (among others) before they found a willing Scott. But Stanford's Bob Bowlsby is making the best of it by saying that the committee is impressed by Scott's negotiation of television contracts--something the Pac-10 is lacking right now.
And hey, the Pac-10's (questionable) gain is a great opportunity for the WTA.

Comments

Diane said…
I wish the rest of us were impressed by the television contracts. Enduring a second year of Fox Sports Network "coverage" of Indian Wells and Miami--after we all (including the players) complained loudly about it last year is very irritating.

Popular posts from this blog

Family Guy disses the WNBA

More reviews of Chak de! India

Deford strikes and incites--again