Monday, July 27, 2009

What the news media can learn from sports media

There is a lot of bad stuff happening in the world today. Lest you think I only know about the bad stuff that happens in sport, I will let you know that I do have an awareness of national and international happenings. (And that I am equally jaded about them as what happens in sport most of the time.)
But really, some things I just don't want to know. And I want to be able to opt out of certain headlines and stories, like the current one about a Texas mother who killed her infant in an atrocious manner. This is something I certainly did not want to find out about by reading a headline on my aggregated Yahoo news stories.
When the Olympics or World Cup or other international sporting event has occurred but the event has yet to air in the US, reporters often say something like "put your TV on mute now if you don't want to know the results." I think the same standard should apply to other news happenings.

No comments: