Monday, June 26, 2006

Do not go gently into that good night

Wimbledon started today. Well it tried to start anyway. Rain got the better of day one activities and no one was able to finish a match.
So ESPN2 chose to air--when I flipped over anyway--last year's women's final between Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport. Williams is in this year's draw and got a decent seeding. But Davenport withdrew before the draw was even made as did Mary Pierce and Serena Williams.
I hope today's airing of last year's final is not the last time we get to see Davenport who has been troubled--again--by injuries this year.
I haven't ever really been a Pierce fan along the way--her personality is a bit off to me--but I think her perseverance over a decade of competition in this sport has been amazing. Her last few years of play have been especially impressive.
And Serena Williams. Well again not so much a fan but I do have some empathy for all the crap the media has strewn at her over the years. Sure her family seems a little odd--but who's family isn't a little dysfunctional these days?
Maybe Williams and her sister for that matter have lost the desire to play tennis. That's fine. But it seems like their tennis careers are just dragging. But if they plan on going out, I hope they get in super physical and mental shape, win a few grand slams, and retire at their very best. And I hope they beat Martina Hingis in the process so I can see that awkward look on her face when she shakes hands at the net realizing that not only did she lose to a black American woman, but she has to look gracious in defeat as well now that she has her new mature image.

No comments: