Saturday, June 14, 2008

Eewwww...

So I am in Cambridge this weekend, doing some research at Hahvahd* while everyone else is across the river at Gay Pride. *sigh*
I love Cambridge though so it's ok. I even love the subway. I love people watching on the subway, which is where this story is going. A college-age female enters the car. She is wearing a UNH t-shirt which makes me smile. (That's my alma mater for anyone who doesn't know.) But I am not the type to say "Do you go to UNH? I went to UNH." which was a good thing because when said young woman got up to exit the car a stop ahead of me I got a glimpse at the back of the shirt:
"Freshman girls. Get them while they're skinny."
Oy.
So what does this have to do with gender and sports. Well nothing really--I just needed to tell the story.
Though she was carrying a tennis racket bag so she must have been an athlete, which just goes to prove what most of us already know--that female athletes are not necessarily the best feminists. In other words, the sports = empowerment model--not really foolproof. There's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on there.


* you can now get a t-shirt that spells it exactly that way--I didn't though.

1 comment:

EBuz said...

Yuck. And why did it have to be a UNH t-shirt?

(My alma mater too, for anyone who didn't know.)