'Cause I don't wanna blog about the Olympics today...

...I offer a brief observation from my day.
I was walking by a daycare/activity program in my progressive little city* today with children who looked to be about 6 and 7 playing outside. One of the supervisors was a high school age young man. He was organizing and participating in some playground football. All boys. The girls were off to the side at a picnic table in the shade doing some arts and crafts-y type thing. Supervisor threw the football and a younger boy missed it and it landed amidst the girls who squealed as if it someone had chucked a half dead squid on their glitter pinwheels.
It seems like, if we can teach girls to be afraid of a football, we should be just as able to teach them not to be. And to perhaps even throw and catch one. And while we're at it how about extolling the virtues of a little glitter in a boy's life?


*Well they like to think they are progressive anyway. I would say people here are more liberal than progressive. The other day my realtor, speaking about people we know in common, wondered aloud if they had a "sick little threesome" going on. In other words, there's lots of judgment under it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Guy disses the WNBA

More reviews of Chak de! India

Deford strikes and incites--again